5.13.2010

Home is whenever I'm with you


Home now for a week, and it's much much better than any visit home I've ever had before. My perspective on life is better, I feel healthy, my hair is growing out, the birds are chirping, the sun is out and that Georgia humidity hasn't quite set in. I can roll around in the Mama convertible with no jacket, get a few tan lines, and drink white wine on the back patio all day long right now. Savannah and Charleston for a few days while spinning through for a wedding. The most beautiful wedding I'll probably ever go to. Giant trees with lanterns and candles, chandeliers, and old Souther homes. You forget how the architecture of cities will differ. I found Savannah to be similar to San Francisco in apartment style. Apartments up one flight and shoot straight up. Big Southern homes with gas lanterns lit and squares named after Revolutionary War and Confederate heros with huge oak trees covered in Spanish moss make Savannah what it is. Riding through the towns of Georgia you would think that the South had won the war based on the amount of statues and flags. Front porches that wrap around the entire home both upstairs and downstairs with shutters you can close and fans that spin all summer long. The bugs are starting to come out and the sun is definitely out and it's only mid-May. Georgia feels good. Racial tensions do not seem nearly as obvious, with smiling faces around every corner. People are just trying to get through this muck right now and everyone's "Sweetie" or "Honey" out here which never grows old. Yes Sir and No Ma'am are used so much it's comical, and everyone's got their Braves uniforms on just waiting to see how the baseball season will end. Home has been refreshing and I've managed to keep myself out of political conversations being the flaming liberal that apparently I am to everyone here. Made good friends with a boy, had a song written and sung for me *swoon, and took Paige to sing with him for her first open mic night ever at a bar where the girls wore plaid skirts and knee-high socks. She was a hit to say the least. We're doing another open mic tonight and she'll be singing three songs. She's going to make us millions and I can't wait til the day when we get to travel around and fart all across this world together. I've been able to see so many friends and spent an entire day with Grandma where we made banana fosters and met all her little friends. She's been telling everyone how independent I am and how I'm living in New York. At the end of the day she finally said California.

No comments:

Post a Comment