3.16.2011

East meet West, West meet East


Driving cross country with a five week old awesome baby is actually easier than it seems. You just put the babe in your lap when diaper changing time comes, breast feed while the car is still in motion, drive through extremely snowy passes in Colorado, white outs in New Mexico, through torrential rain and lighting in big sky Texas, stay in middle of no where motels in Nevada along lonely highway 50, until you cross into lush green Georgia where everything is placed about a mile apart from each other. Southeners really enjoy and need their space. That's why everyone is so flippin friendly to one another. They aren't placed on top of one another, they've got space, sometimes even a whole lake's worth of space, which allows for more smiles, touching, and just pleasant gestures. I thought out west perhaps I was special what with all my smiling and touching of peoples arms when I spoke to them or calling them sweetie or lovely, but of course upon my return home even the gas station attendant was sweet, greeted me at the door, and had a huge smile on her face and I thought to myself ,"If I have a charismatic bone in my body, it's only because I'm Southern."
I've dreamt of San Fran just about every night since we left. I've been walking along the streets n high heels, hopping from one bus to another, giving people directions, and sitting in tattoo parlors. I've been running around looking at art and going into people's tiny apartments raving about the size of the place and how big it is for a city. I've been doing all sorts of things in my dreams.
In real life, I am experiencing the purest form of BitterSweet I can imagine. I look at my little family in the mornings with Piglet resting in the crook of her daddy's arm and know to soak up those mornings because they won't last forever. I meditate while looking out at a beautiful lake. I have the privilege of staying in the coziest home with family all around to hold baby. I miss my friends and i miss cafe gratitude to an extreme, but I also know this is how it's all supposed to be. Besides, you can take the girl out of San Francisco but you can't take the San Francisco out of the girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment