
Peering down from the tranquil yoga studio that I find myself inhabiting religiously, I notice that the streets literally cracked open and threw up tons of little green boogers that were and still are hollering at one another. Oh that's right, it's Saint Patrick's Day and I totally forgot to wear green. My tye dye tank top and underarmour leggings fit the role I chose to play today instead of the creepy leprechaun that apparently we should all be emulating. Hasn't everyone seen Drop Dead Fred?
A four leaf clover is certainly a positive symbol to see more of on a beautiful, big blue day like today, but I don't believe in luck so this holiday overall doesn't seem to fit me too well. That and the fact that any Irish man I've met in this city has been adorable, but always has a sort o
f drinking problem. Perhaps its the gloomy days of Ireland, or the remnants of contaminated water from back in the day when Guinness really was everyone's saving grace, but nonetheless I'm Protestant and living in North Beach with the Irish and Italian Catholics so perhaps I'll really understand. It's a wonderful experience to say the least. I've never known a true Catholic, but I've always been humbled by the adorable nuns that walked the hills of Italy and occasionally of Little Italy as well. The streets are covered in these boogers, like I said, and my arm's been twisted to go meet a friend at Vesuvios, the infamous bar of Ginsberg and Kerouac, nestled right next to City Lights Bookstore where I once saw a huge man with dreads play an instrument from Laos and who wrote a very enlightening book titled "We Are Not Gadgets." It only feels appropriate to join in some sort of festivity, even if that festivity is simply praising the beer that I love and do think is quite remarkable- Guinness. It's the thick froth that is a reminder of a flat cappuccino, full body that continues to gracefully dance like a woman's hips to blues, and satisfaction that sits in your belly for at least fifteen minutes after you finish until you decide to order another one that I'm celebrating tonight.

No comments:
Post a Comment